11.23.2011

Rudolf Kurz

About this artist: "Trained as a medical doctor in my native Germany, I later travelled and ended up studying painting at the Art Students' League in New York City. Since moving to Canada I have shown my art in four solo exhibitions and many group shows. I have also painted a dozen murals in hospitals, libraries and schools - the largest of them sixty-five meters long!"
"My carefully detailed, often bizarre and darkly humorous paintings, drawings and etchings are influenced by Surrealism and by the art of medieval and Renaissance Northern Europe."
"I create my etchings using a centuries old printmaking technique. I don't use any shortcuts like photographic transfer of an image to a printing plate. The design is drawn and then etched with acid onto a treated zinc or copper plate. This image is printed on dampened, thick printmaking paper, using an old fashioned, hand cranked intaglio press. My favourite printmaking paper is the French paper BFK Rives, made by a company that is centuries old. Making one print takes about half an hour. Creating the printing plate takes many days. ( This is why my prints are priced higher than photomechanical reproductions.) My prints are limited to an edition between 30 and 50. They are signed, numbered and titled by me."
To see more of this artists work, click through the post title above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Supportive or constructive comments encouraged, others may be filtered.

For Your Information...

Photos, artwork, content, projects and/or materials featured in the Spotlight section belong to each individual artist or designer as presented. If you would like to request permission for content or photo use of an artist or designer, please contact them directly. The DesignMakers does not act as agency or representative for individual artists or designers.



  © Blogger template Noblarum by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP